Chinese Navy Frigate 21st Century
In 2005, The Type 054 frigate entered PLAN service (hulls 525 and 526). The Type 054 is considerably stealthier than all previous PLAN frigate designs. The Type 054 Ma'anshan class is armed with an HQ-7 octuple launcher, eight YJ83 anti-ship missiles, a 100 mm main gun, four AK630 CIWS turrets, ASW torpedoes and rocket launchers, carries one Ka-28 Helix or Z-9C, and displaces 3,400 tons. This represents a new generation of frigate design in the PLAN, and a shifting focus on larger multi-role platforms. The air defense missile armament is no better than the Jiangwei II class although this may be upgraded later.
The Type 054 has now been superseded by the Type 054A frigate, which is in series production. The 054A features a number of important improvements over the original 054. The main air defense armament has been upgraded to a 32-cell VLS HQ-16 medium-range SAM system, giving area air defence capability for the first time to PLAN frigates. In addition, the four AK630 CIWS have been replaced by two autonomous Type 730 CIWS. The Type 054A is altogether a well balanced and stealthy frigate design, with considerable firepower and multi-role versatility.
Littoral and coastal warfare vessels
Although the People's Liberation Army Navy classify its surface combatants with displacement less than 1,000 tons as boats, the maximum displacement of its boats in the inventory is only around 500 tons.
- Haiqing class submarine chasers - 20
- Haijiu class submarine chasers - 2
- Haizhui (Type 062-I) class submarine chasers - 13
- Hainan (Type 037) class submarine chasers - ~40+ and dozens in reserve
- Kronshtadt class submarine chasers - less than 20 (in reserve)
- Type 022 Houbei class missile boats - At least 81 completed, more under construction.
- Houjian (Type 037-II) class missile boats - 5 boats
- Houxin (Type 037-IG) class missile boats - 24 boats
- Houdong class missile boats - 1
- Type 021 Huangfeng (Soviet Osa-I) class missile boats - 40 + (being rearmed) with 60 - 70 in reserve
- Hola class missile boat - 1
- China Cat (C 14) class missile boat - 1
- Heku/Hegu/Houku/Hougu (Type 024) class missile boats - 20 + (being rearmed) with up to 50 in reserve
- Huchuan (Type 025) class Torpedo Hydrofoils - ~20, nearly 100 being in reserve
- P 4 class torpedo boats - 50 (in reserve, being transferred to patrol duties)
- P 6 class torpedo boats 
- Shanghai III (Type 062-I) class gunboats - 2
- Shanghai I & Shanghai II (Type 062) classes gunboats - 150+ active and at least 100 in reserve
- Huludao (Type 206) class gunboat - 8+
- Shantou class gunboats - less than 25 (in reserve, subordinated to naval militia)
- Beihai class gunboats - less than 30 (in reserve, subordinated to naval militia)
- Huangpu class gunboats - less than 15 (in reserve, subordinated to naval militia)
- Yulin class gunboats - less than 40 (being transferred to logistic duties)
- Harbour security boat (PBI) - 4 newly built 80 ton class harbour security / patrol boats, and more are planned in order to take over the port security / patrol duties currently performed by the obsolete Shantou, Beihai, Huangpu, and Yulin classes gunboats, which are increasingly being converted to inshore surveying boats and range support boats.