Thursday, March 07, 2013

DTN News - MALAYSIA DEFENSE NEWS: Malaysian Security Forces Kill 31 Filipinos Muslim Clan And Reject Talks

DTN News - MALAYSIA DEFENSE NEWS: Malaysian Security Forces Kill 31 Filipinos Muslim Clan And Reject Talks
Source: DTN News - - This article compiled by Roger Smith 
(NSI News Source Info) TORONTO, Canada - March 7, 2013: Malaysian police said they have fatally shot 31 Filipino intruders who sparked a security crisis in Borneo.

It is the highest number of casualties in a day since nearly 200 members of a Philippine Muslim clan took over an entire Malaysian village last month to lay claim to a sprawling Borneo state they insist is theirs by royal birthright.

National police chief Ismail Omar says Malaysian security forces tracking the armed clansmen gunned them down in a remote coastal district Thursday. He says no Malaysians were wounded.

At least 60 people, including eight Malaysian police officers, have been killed in the nearly month-long conflict over an attempt by followers of a Philippine-based sultan to assert a historic claim over parts of Borneo Island.

“The secretary-general is closely following the situation in Sabah, Malaysia,” said a statement from the United Nations released on Wednesday. “He urges an end to the violence and encourages dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation.”

A spokesman for the Jamalul Kiram III, the leader of the group fighting in the Malaysian state of Sabah, said the sultanate was declaring a unilateral cease-fire in reaction to the call by the United Nations. He said an order was given for the group to take a “defensive position” and not to engage Malaysian troops.

“Malaysia, reciprocate the call for the cease-fire,” the spokesman, Abraham Idjirani, appealed at a Thursday afternoon news briefing.

The Malaysian defense minister, Ahmad Zahid, rejected the calls by the United Nations and the sultanate.

“A unilateral cease-fire is not accepted by Malaysia unless the militants surrender unconditionally,” he said in a statement, adding later: “Don’t believe the cease-fire offer by Jamalul Kiram. In the interest of Sabahans and all Malaysians, wipe out all the militants first.”

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak told reporters on Thursday afternoon that Philippine President Benigno S. Aquino III had telephoned him after the United Nations statement to get his reaction.

“I informed President Aquino that they need to surrender unconditionally and their weapons have to be handed over to us,” he said during a visit to Lahad Datu, the area where much of the fighting has taken place.

Malaysian officials have called for the extradition to Malaysia of the group’s leader in Manila.

Mr. Aquino said Thursday that criminal charges are being prepared against the sultan by the country’s National Bureau of Investigation and he rejected calls for an immediate extradition. The Philippines and Malaysia do not have an extradition treaty but they have a mutual legal assistance agreement that facilitates the capture and repatriation of fugitives.

“Let our citizens here in the country face the charges that we will be proffering,” Mr. Aquino said. “Then we will talk about other developments after they have satisfied the requirements of our laws.”

The situation began in mid-February when about 200 people from the southern Philippines arrived in a remote coastal area of eastern Malaysia and announced that they were members of a royal army in service of the Sultanate of Sulu, which ruled the southern Philppines and parts of the Malaysian state of Sabah for centuries.

The group was initially received peacefully but after multiple requests that they return to the Philippines violence soon broke out. The Malaysian authorities launched several assaults against the group, using fighter jets, mortars and several battalions of ground troops.

Militant leaders in the Philippines have said that fighters from the restive southern part of the country would try to make their way to Sabah to act as reinforcements for the outnumbered Filipino fighters. Malaysian and Philippine navy ships are patrolling the waters between the two countries to stop further incursions.

*Link for This article compiled by Roger Smith DTN News
*Speaking Image - Creation of DTN News ~ Defense Technology News 
*This article is being posted from Toronto, Canada By DTN News ~ Defense-Technology News 

No comments: